With Christmas at our doorstep, it's never been more important to get a good nights sleep. The Christmas period can be full of late night parties, shopping, travelling and overindulging in food and alcohol. All of these can take their toll on your health and impact on your quality of sleep! I'm sure we've all experienced the unpleasantness of a sleepless night. Perhaps you've pulled an all-nighter or you have young kids keeping you awake. Or maybe you've experienced a bit of insomnia, which is a common problem among Australians of all ages. There are certain things that can trigger insomnia such as certain foods and drinks, daily stress and worries, pressures from your job or family, body aches and pains caused by uncomfortable beds or pillows and a number of other factors. Some people experience financial and family stress over the Christmas period which can worsen any sleeping problems. At Chiropractic Works, we believe making good health choices and eliminating the possible causes of sleep deprivation goes a long way in improving quality of sleep. With a few lifestyles changes and Chiropractic care to relieve muscoloskeletal problems, your chance of getting a good night sleep can greatly improve.
The Impact of sleep deprivation
Sleep deprivation can effect us in so many different ways:
- A lack of sleep can effect your brains ability to function, which can impair our concentration, productivity and memory.
- Insufficient sleep can put your safety at risk for work-related injuries and road accidents.
- Without a good night’s sleep you may feel very irritable or impatient the next day.
- The more sleep you lose the weaker your immune system therefore making you more vulnerable to developing diseases.
- Long term sleep deprivation can cause you to gain weight because the body’s ability to process and store carbohydrates can change.
Our sleeping tips
Here are a few tips on helping to get a better nights sleep:
- No screens before bed (TV, ipad, phone)
- Regular exercise
- Stay relaxed before bed time. Reading is a great way to relax before bed.
- No large meals before bed
- Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening
- Try having a bath with some lavender oil which will help you to relax
- Make sure the room temperate is nice and cool and it is dark
- Make sure your mattress and Pillow are supported
- Have a regular sleep pattern e.g. going to bed and waking up at the same time each day
- See your Chiropractor
How we can help
Chiropractic care may help you get a better nights sleep by reducing musculoskeletal aches and pains. At Chiropractic Works, we believe that maintaining optimal health and wellbeing are essential in getting as good night’s sleep. At Chiropractic Works, we can also recommend a mattress that will give your body optimal support and comfort. Most people have trouble sleeping because their mattress is wrong for them. We supply ACA endorsed mattresses and can provide a fitting service to make sure you get the right mattress for your body. Don’t let sleeping deprivation affect your Christmas. Contact us at Chiropractic Works to find out how we can help you.
Contact us at Chiropractic Works today ph 07 4031 3388